My days and thoughts....

Blog covering some selected happenings in my life.

Monday, March 20, 2006

DSL Customer support...Internet in Egypt sucks

What the hell is wrong with dsl service in Egypt? I found out its not only me with LinkDotNet, or my friends who I referred them to LinkDotnet as well. Its also other fellows with TEData and Raya. A friend of mine has a lot of problems with TEData on the Heliopolis exchange. Another friend in Mohandessin has a lot of problems with Raya.

Anyways, the last three months with LinkDotNet saw the first two customer personnel visiting us at home. This time we(my family and I) were not complaining of the speed, but of the line itself. The DSL line itself is getting disconnected a lot of times.

Here is a a typical conversation other the phone:
Me: My internet is down
He: Please Switch off your modem for 10 sec and switch it on again.

Me: I did that already and the line is still down.
He: OK, restart your computer and press F8 and go into safe mode with networking.

Me: By the way, This is my 10th call this week, and I already tried that with another operating system called Linux.
He: Well, we are checking what's wrong from our side, are you in yet?
Me: Yes!!
He: OK, now go and start a download
Me: From which site?
He: go to yahoo.com and choose games

Me: ....
He: Are you there?
Me: No, the page hasn't loaded yet
He: OK, i will be back shortly

then I listen to some darn music
5 minutes later after I start downloading at 0.5KB/sec

Me: I started downloading and the speed is horrible
He: Start another download

Me: it will take a lot of time to go to the other page.
2 mins later
Me: The speed now is 0.1KB/sec
then the DSL line gets disconnected and reconnects

He: OK, I will send you someone to check on the cables on your side
Me: But already someguy visited us last week and told me that you have a problem
He: No, we have to check your side again!!

---------------------------------------------------------
When the guy came, he checked the splitter, connected his modem and said that everything is perfect on our side. He tried to download and the speed this time was about 15kb/sec , 30% of what shoul be my speed. They will try to fix the connection from their side.
---------------------------------------------------------

But I thought the problem was with LinkDotNet only, however, when I asked my friends, nearly all ISPs are having problems with speed or line consistency. Yesterday, EgyNet which provides its services through SofiCom during working hours. EgyNet is rumored to be looking for an investor to buy it, possibly an international partner. If you are are intrested contact NTC, National Telecommunications Corporations.

TEData, is supposed to have less problems in the near future as they have upgraded their international bandwidth to 3 Gbps as announced on their website 6 weeks ago. This move will relief the customers' woes and improve speed.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heyya di masr ya 3abla. ana 3andi el net batee2a ma3 link bardo. ana dsl 265 bas 3amla zai el dial up

March 20, 2006 11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think is a problem with all ISPs in Egypt>

March 22, 2006 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You dont have a password specified for your router configuration interface and you are blaming the ISP's ??!! This is Fucken Lame http://10.0.0.138 change your fucken password

March 25, 2006 2:06 AM  
Blogger Lazarus said...

What's fucking lame is that you didn't access my router interface because its not alcatel or whatever piece of shit that has its lan ip starting with 10.0, its not pingable and the username and password were changed from day 1.

I am not sure but you probably were accessing your own router.

March 25, 2006 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think I'm idiot ?! The day u left a comment on my blog http://cvirus.foolab.org/?p=21#comment-38 I was able to access your router through your IP http://196.205.129.29 .. and "NOW" and only now its unaccessable .. Crap Crap Crap .. I saw your phone number too and your real name .. Enough Crap ..

March 30, 2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger Lazarus said...

You are proving you are an idiot. I am telling you my fucking line is not stable and ip surely have changed because you haven't accessed my router. This is because IPs are dynamic in case you don't know.

Plus that LAN IP you wrote is not the one I have. Dlink don't use that. for their routers. So if you still have the number go and call that person or check his phone bill on http://www.mcitel.gov.eg

I can believe you if you used my internet through Wifi down from the street but definitly not my router.

And what's your problem at the first place? I am the one who is having a problem with his line not you. I stayed two days with no internet last week. So why are you defending them?

By the way, is there another way that we can continue this exchange other than the commenting on the blog?

April 01, 2006 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude...that's exactly the same scenario i had have with the damn morons TEDATE...apparently, all DSL ISPs in Egypt are sucks!!!
But i can add something to your scenario,
He: Please check the received/sent
Me: For the 1000 times, received is more than sent
He: Did you check your PC for viruses or spam
Me: The issue is not with my PC, please find another excuse.
He: We did check the Bandwidth, and looking good, could you please check now by downloading from winamp site
Me: I'm already downloading from Microsoft!!
He: Microsoft may have some issues, please download from winamp site!!!!
Me: whatsoever!!!!
Me: okay i'm in (after 2 minutes), downloading @ 4k/s!!!! and degrading...
He: Could you trace yahoo and send us the results
Me: Affirmative sir, i will resend the results for the 25th maybe 40th time...
He: Thank you for calling TEDATE
Me: after hanging up of course!!! "Fuck TEDATE, fuck DSL.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 28, 2006 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home