My days and thoughts....

Blog covering some selected happenings in my life.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Elections: Dokki

Before I go into my new subject I would like to point your attention that this is not a political blog but the current local events are turning me on. I am still talking about my experience so this is my own account. I will soon post news about my first semi official acting experience and may be part of my poetry. I will also talk about my impression about some of the short stories of Youssef Idris :)) .

This is my third political participation, thanks to the influence of Dr. Shabka who was my sociology professor last semester and helped to open my mind to a lot of issues. It was the notorious parliamentary elections, famous for widespread fraud, bribe and assaults. Although the result is predetermined which is the forged landslide victory for the NDP but I was there to practise one of my basic human rights, which is the right to choose my representative in the Parliament.

Generally, this semester I am very busy with my projects in university as I am taking two demanding courses that are very time consuming. I don't come back home before 10 PM and even in Ramadan I leave after Iftar to the University. The story projects is another good one worth to talk about but later, maybe after the semester ends one month from today. Only one candidate has done a lot of campaiging which is the Muslim Brotherhood's. The brotherhood campaigners came twice to my home while I was not there and gave us fliers and some other rubbish. Other campgainers for other candidates barely moved their lazy butts to put their fliers in the mail box or on the car!!! They are just trashing the streets!
I was in London, UK during the last parliamentary elections and I don't have to talk about the difference even though it was a very close race their with 3 candidates. I leaning towards the Liberal Dimocrats. Anywyas, this is not our subject for the moment.

I planned to go after university at 3pm to vote but I woke up early that day and decided to go and try my luck before classes. Voting was set to take place from 8am till 7pm. Before voting in the last referendum and fake presidential elections, I had to check with the police station for my voting centre. This time thanks to an egyptian blog www.manalaa.net. They provided a service for voters from certain areas to check their enrollment number in the voting lists and the voting centre. THis service should have been provided by out egovernement!! Hmmf, I printed out my info and headed to the voting centre which was a big school and I was there at 8.50, 50 minutes after the start of voting time. First thing, there were 3 campgainers from the Muslim brotherhood who tried to talk to me about their candidate but i just ignored them. I went in and quickly skimmed through the voting list and found my name thanks to that Blog I early mentioned. However, the guys in the room told me that voting hasn't started yet! It was already 9am and voting was set to start at 8am!!!!! what the heck!! Were they preparing to forge the elections or what? Ahhh, I forgot, this is Egypt. Oh, there was a small problem with the stamps on the voting list and they waited for the judge to come and solve thus minor problem as they said. I was the only one in their. There were a couple of policemen and some campaigners for candidates. Some ugly looking jerks for candidate came close to me and started talking about their candidate. Although I wasn't going to vote for their candidate and I didn't like their way, but I decided to talk with them and fool them. The NDP candidate in my district is a vice president of the sports club, the Egyptian Arsenal, Tersana. I fooled them into that that candidate was in the way of a transfer deal between Tersana and Ahly and that's way I am not voting for him! They fell for that and I got rid of them. Time is now 9.15 and the judge arrived. I went in to vote. The assistant of the judge who was supposed to check the names and asked me for my pen. I gave it to him and went to vote. I was surprised when I saw the list of candidates. 35 persons that I have never heard of except that of the NDP and the Muslim brotherhood. I voted for neither, just chose a lady called Sawsan and some other guy. I went back to the guy to put my finger in the ink. He asked me to keep the pen because they only had one pen in that room!!!!!! I refused and left the voting centre with one pen and the clerks looking for another. Shame on them and their supervisors. Going to election to enlist voters without a pen!!!!!

Later that night, I read reports that the MB candidate scored landlside victory over the veteran NDP member who has a chance to head the parliament!! This is indeed a surprise. a Veteran NDP losing to an MB! But there was a surprise next day afternoon. The NDP forged the results. After almost announcing the perliminary results, the following one was forged. The NDP replaced the ballot boxes with the votes for the MB candidate with ones for their veteran candidate using an ambulance. However, I don't give a damn about that. I am not an idiot to replace the NDP with MB. This is not the case here as the NDP forged the elections I wasn't going to be satisfied anyways if the MB candidate won it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad that database helped someone.

November 22, 2005 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home